Builder Theme: I am a builder when I use my words to encourage others.
“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.”
– Mother Teresa
Upcoming WV2 & WV3 Events ★
- Tuesday, February 14 – Lockdown Drill 8:50am
- Wednesday, February 15 – 8th Grade Explosive Extravaganza: 12:48pm – 2:45pm
- Friday, February 17 – SCRIPPS Spelling Bee 4th – 8th Grade 1:30pm in the small gym
- February 20-24 – No School / Mid-winter Break
- Monday, February 27 – 6th Grade Sandwich Service Project
- Friday, March 10 – The Drowsy Chaperone Musical: 7pm in the small gym
- Saturday, March 11 – The Drowsy Chaperone Musical: 2pm and 7pm in the small gym
- Monday, March 13 – The Drowsy Chaperone Musical: 7pm in the small gym
School Contact Information
- Administrative Director 385-351-3090 x1131
- Press 1 for Elementary Office
- Press 2 for Junior High Office & Secondary attendance
- Press 3 for High School Office
WV2 & WV3 ★
Valentine’s Day – As a reminder, we do not hold Valentine’s Day parties or celebrations. We DO focus on caring and sharing during this month. However, if you are interested, you MAY send valentine cards or a small, wrapped treat on Tuesday, February 14th. These will be exchanged at the end of the day. Here are the specific expectations:
– All students are included in the giving – cards/treats must be given to all classmates if you plan to bring cards or treats.
Any treats are wrapped and can be put in the backpack and taken home. (Please, NO donuts, muffins, cupcakes, cookies etc. Wrapped treats like a small piece of candy would be appropriate.)
Please have your student write “From: (Their Name)”. As fun as they are to personalize, they take too long to pass out. We have 31 students and 1 teacher.
Thank you to our fabulous parent volunteers who made the 5th and 6th grade Western Round Up event such a success. Parents like you make our school amazing!
Spelling Bee – We will be holding our 4th – 8th Grade SCRIPPS Spelling Bee on Friday, February 17th at 1:30pm in the small gym.
APA Families, we are seeing a lot of uniform violations this year and we would like to ask for your help with ensuring your students are aware of the dress code, follow it and understand that they will not be allowed to attend class if they are in violation. When this occurs, if their uniform is being worn inappropriately or they are not wearing the correct uniform attire, they will receive a warning the first time and will be expected to correct it. If they are in violation after the first warning they will be written up. If a uniform violation cannot be corrected, emergency contacts will be notified and the student will sit at the front office until someone picks them up or brings them the correct uniform items. The majority of the violations we see are the following:
- Male pants being worn below their waist
- Incorrect footwear
- Female skirts being worn well above the knee
- Blouses and shirts not being tucked in
- Name tags missing
- Wearing jeans instead of the correct uniform pants
Please have your students review the APA uniform policy and ensure they are dressed appropriately each day.
- Congratulations to our students who competed in the Salt Lake Charter Science Fair! Isabelle Griggs, Jane Christenson, Juan Pablo Jimenez and Daniel Christenson all qualified to move on to University of Utah Fair. We are grateful for the hard work and effort put in by these outstanding students.
- Wright Driving School (Date Change): American Prep is excited to have Wright Driving School to provide driver’s education to our secondary students, again this year. This course will begin on March 5th and run until March 16th. Wright Driving provides a 9-day course for 2 hours after school each day. The cost is $280 and is paid directly to Wright Driving School. If you’d like to sign up to be a part of this class, you can do so at the High School Office. If you have any questions about the course, please feel free to email or call Wright Driving School at the information below. There will be one more class offered this year, in May. 801-209-2328 firstname.lastname@example.org wrightdrivingschool.com
Counselor’s office ★
Teen class for mood regulation
Do you believe your teen might be dealing with mild depressive symptoms? Salt Lake Youth Services has a free class to help. Youth learn to practice changing their actions to manage their moods, increase their participation in enjoyable/positive activities, practice changing habitual thought patterns, and prepare to manage future life stressors with confidence. Participants are taught to apply skills in their daily lives through in-session exercises and weekly home practice assignments. As a result of participation in ME Time, youth will experience reduced depressive symptoms and decreased risk of substance use. ME Time is a free 6-week program for teens held online or in person. **Participants who complete this series will receive a gift card!
Text or call Jodi Rushton – 910-518-0598
Enrollment ★ (Repeat)
Enrollment applications and the lottery for the 2023-2024 school year has begun!
- NEW SIBLINGS: Must be 5yrs old by September 1st, 2023 to qualify for enrollment- no exceptions to this rule. This application is for brothers or sisters of students currently attending one of American Prep Schools.
http://www.americanprep.org/enrollment Code: sibling2023
- TRANSFERING to a different American Prep Campus, Request will be processed in the order that they are received, sibling priority taken into consideration. Open seats are limited, so please be sure to get on the transfer waitlist before new student’s lotteries begin in January 2023. Even if you have requested a transfer before, you NEED to fill it out again. Students may transfer between American Prep campuses on a case-by-case priority basis, depending on availability at the receiving campus.
http://www.americanprep.org/enrollment Code: transfer2023
- WV1 Campus students ENTERING into 7th GRADE on 2023-2024 School year: 6th graders will automatically have a seat reserved at West Valley 3 Campus; Students will need to meet the requirements of the APA promotion policy and attend WV3 Mandatory Enrollment meeting. You do not need to request a transfer, unless you are requesting a transfer to the Draper 3 Campus.
- RE-Enrollment for Current APA-WV2 & WV3 Students: The Re-enrollment code for next year will be given to you at the “Celebration of Excellence” enrollment meetings held in February 2023.
Celebration of Excellence Meetings Schedule: Only one meeting per family needs to be attended. Please pick a date and put it on your calendar.
- Tuesday, February 7th at 8:30am – Elementary
- Tuesday February 7th at 1pm – Kindergarten
- Thursday, February 9th at 8:30am – Elementary
- Thursday, February 9th at 9:30am – Secondary
- Thursday, February 9th at 1:00pm – Secondary
- Thursday, February 9th at 5:00pm – Elementary
- Saturday, February 11th at 9:00am – Elementary
- Monday, February 13th at 8:30am – Secondary
- Monday, February 13th at 6:00pm – Secondary
Kindergarten assessments will be held on Friday, May 26th at 8:30am. At this time you may bring your student’s birth certificate, vaccination record and any other documentation that is needed, such as an IEP or 504.
If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail Ms. Guastella at email@example.com
We are looking forward to a great 2023-2024 School year!
Sistema Notes ♪
Welcome to another fun-filled week of music learning at Sistema Utah! We have been working hard to learn our pieces for our end-of-year concert in May – hooray! Please ensure that your child attends their Sistema classes daily, so they don’t fall behind in their classes. If your child is sick or has a previously scheduled appointment during after school hours, please call the Sistema office to let us know 385-351-3090 x1139 or email Mrs. Christensen firstname.lastname@example.org. Each student has been invited to a Google classroom for their instrument and singing classes. If your child has to miss Sistema or would like to practice at home, they can pull up their respective Google classroom at home. This can be accessed through their APA student email account.
We have many of our students excited to practice their instruments. If your child brings their instrument home, please have them put it by their backpack in the evening so they remember to bring it to class. Instrument care during the winter months is essential. Please do not have your child keep their instrument in the car overnight. The severe cold could damage their instrument.
This Wednesday, February 8th, some of our older elementary Sistema students have the opportunity to participate in a service project after school. We will be making sandwiches for the homeless. We need a couple of parent volunteers. If you are available from 3-4:30 p.m. to help, please email Mrs. Christensen email@example.com or call her at 385-351-3090 x 1139.
This term will feel very short as we prepare for Mid-Winter Break the last part of February. Please check your child’s learning plan daily to make sure they are staying current with their homework. Our no-missing homework incentive will be on Friday, February 17th. Your child will not want to miss this! Every student who has earned this incentive will receive a ticket stapled to the top of their learning plan on Thursday, February 16th. Missing work reports will be pulled on Wednesday, February 15th where students should have no missing work showing to be eligible to attend. You may check your child’s missing work on Alma and/or your child’s homeroom teacher.
Please place the following dates on your calendar as we have some No Sistema days coming up:
- Wednesday, February 15th – Students bring Bach Bucks to Sistema to count
- Thursday, February 16th – Bach Buck Store
- Friday, February 17th – No Missing Homework Incentive
- February 20-24, 2023 – No School/No Sistema – Mid-Winter Break
Sports Corner ★
Character Development ★
- 8th Grade Ambassador Event: Explosive Extravaganza!
We have our 8th grade Explosive Extravaganza event on Wednesday, February 15th from 12:48 – 2:45 p.m. (please note the LATE DISMISSAL for 8th GRADE ONLY). This is a stationed event at the school where the students will be learning many skills such as the power of words, good communication skills, and how to navigate a reception line. We are still needing parents to be group leaders. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Mrs. Tapp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Volunteering opportunities please email us at email@example.com