- September 7 – Secondary Builders Assembly (Large Gym) 12:45 pm-2pm
- September 8 – 6th Grade Take Flight Even (Multipurpose Room & Small Gym)
- September 8 – Sistema Fundraising Carnival (Large Gym) 2:30-4:30 pm – EVERYONE WELCOME!
- September 8 – HS Girls Volleyball (St. Joseph’s) 4:30pm-8:30pm
- September 9 – HS Girls Soccer at N. Summit 4pm-5:30pm
- September 12 & 13 – Fall Play Auditions
- September 13 – HS Girls Soccer vs. St. Joseph (Centennial Park Sports Complex) 4pm-5:30pm
- September 13 – HS Girls Volleyball vs UMA (Large Gym) 4:30pm-8pm
- September 13 – Virtual Empowerment 7pm-8:30pm
- September 14 – 4-6th grade Reading University Assembly (Small Gym) 8am-8:30am
- September 14 – K-3rd grade Reading University Assembly (Multipurpose Room) 8am-8:30am
- September 14 – WV3 Make Up Pictures 11am-2pm
- September 14 – 10th Grade “In it to Win it” (Scottsdale Park) 12:45-2:10 pm
- September 15 – Fall Play Call Backs
- September 15 – Sistema Ensemble Day (Multipurpose Room) 2:35-3:50pm
- September 16 – Early Dismissal (SECONDARY ONLY) 12pm
- September 16 – Parent Intervention Conferences 12:30-4pm
School Contact Information
- Press 1 for Elementary Office
- Press 2 for Junior High Office & Secondary attendance
- Press 3 for High School Office
There are some changes and some clarifications I would also like to make everyone aware of at this time.
- There will be no fee for JH sports this year.
- All athletes are required to have a doctor’s physical before playing in their first game.
- There will be at least 2 teams; A team is 7/8th grade and C team 5/6th grade. Students can play up but cannot play down. If we have enough students there may be a 3rd, B team.
- We will not be providing transportation this year for JH sports due to transportation costs. We know this is very unfortunate and may be difficult for some but we encourage you to reach out to other parents and establish car pools for transportation. We will have a mandatory parent meeting shortly after tryouts to help with this and to relay all other necessary information.
If you are interested in helping out with these or any other sports please let me know. We are always in need of willing parents.
Sistema Carnival Fundraiser
Sistema Utah is excited to bring back their Carnival Fundraiser this Thursday, September 8th from 2:30-4:30 p.m. The entire school is invited – bring your family and join us! $10 per unlimited activity wristband (each student wanting to participate will need a wristband) and we will also have concessions available for sale. We will have bounce houses, carnival games, face painting and lots of FUN! Tickets will be available for purchase afterschool this week as well as at the elementary front office. Elementary students not in Sistema will need to be accompanied by an adult the entire time of the carnival. Please note: If your student is in Sistema afterschool, this will take the place of Sistema. You will need a wristband for your child or come pick them up from school when second dismissal occurs. Thank you so much for your support as we celebrate our 10th Anniversary. Help us to bring in some amazing guest artists to work with our students this year!
Join us for Elementary Chess Club!
We are excited to offer Elementary Chess Club for anyone in grades 2-6. It will be held right after school on Thursdays. To sign up for the chess club, please email Mr. Pitts firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is the graphic that lists each Thursday that the chess club will be held. Join in on the fun!
How the lottery works
Once you have applied for your student to attend our school, your online application will be held in the General Applicant Pool until such a time as we have a vacancy. Your application will then be included with all other applications in the General Applicant Pool in a random drawing to fill that vacancy. Students are accepted into charter schools by lottery, which is state mandated.
If you have applied and you don’t hear from us, it’s not too late to enroll at American Prep. We fill vacant seats up until the first day of school. You will be notified by phone or email if your student has been selected through the lottery. The registrar will not have any additional information.
West Valley Food Service Employee
Wanna work part-time and be off when your kids are off – Come work in the lunchroom! APA parent preferred but not required. Spanish speakers preferred but not required.
Pay $12 – $14/hr
Days/Hours of work – Monday thru Friday 8am to 1pm
- Receive deliveries from ALL vendors (APA Central kitchen, milk, FFV, Snacks)
- Prepare & distribute Elementary lunches to students
- Prepare FFV program
- Prepare Snack program
- Help students w/out a lunch for the day
- Help co-workers with other duties as needed
- Parent customer service (assist with lunch applications, ordering)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Personal integrity and dependability
- Quick-paced, hard-working, high-energy personality
- Works and communicates well with others (co-workers, parents, students)
- Self Sufficient
- Basic computer skills – will train on specific programs we use (Hot Lunches Online, Google Sheets, Email, Skyward, etc.)
- Customer service skills
- Bilingual speaking preferred but not required
- Maintain the ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push, pull, and lift items weighing 50 lbs or less. Stand or walk 95% of the workday.
- Required to obtain a State of Utah Food Handlers Permit within 30 days of employment
REMINDER TO ORDER LUNCH FOR SEPTEMBER
We wanted to explain to our new families – all school meals must be pre-ordered. Our sack lunches are prepared off-site, and we only deliver enough meals for those who have placed an order.
Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
- MEALS WILL NOT BE FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS during the 2022-23 school year.
- If your student comes for a lunch and your status is PAID you will be charged as follows:
- K-5 $2.65
- 6-12 $2.95
- If you have not done so already, we ask all families to complete a Free/Reduced Lunch application: https://www.americanprep.org/school-lunch-program/eligibility/
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Do you have a concern, complaint, or feedback? We want to hear from you! Click here – https://forms.gle/Ae6ULgLHorTKcwki6
Our parent surveys consistently express confidence and overwhelming satisfaction with our teachers at American Prep. In accordance with state regulation, all APA teachers are licensed through one of three licensing paths: Professional, Associates and LEA specific. Parents are welcome at any time to request information regarding the professional qualifications of the student’s classroom teachers including: 1) whether the teacher has met State qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction or whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which State qualification or licensing criteria have been waived; 2) the baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate certification or degree held by the teacher, and the field of discipline of the certification or degree; and 3) whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
District Parent and Family Engagement Policy
American Prep recognizes that parent and family engagement is key to student achievement. We provide many opportunities for parents and family members to participate in, and stay informed of, their student’s academic achievement. American Preparatory Academy trains staff annually during pre-service and teacher academy on how to communicate, build meaningful connections, and otherwise involve parents/families and the school. These topics are reinforced during professional development opportunities throughout the year as needed. Additional details regarding Parent and Family Engagement are available in the annual Parent-Student Handbooks (PSHB) which are distributed annually, posted on the school websites, and available in Spanish at our West Valley campuses. For the full District Parent and Family Engagement Policy, please refer to this link on the Policy page of the americanprep.org website.
School Parent and Family Engagement Policies
School Parent Involvement Policies vary slightly by campus and are located within the Parent-Student Handbooks https://www.americanprep.org/parent-student-handbooks/. These Handbooks are distributed annually to parents and are now accessible on the APA website under the Parent Library drop-down tab. West Valley Parent-Student Handbooks will be available in Spanish.
Mandated Assessments and Opt-Outs
American Preparatory recognizes that Standardized Testing is an essential tool for measuring student learning and teacher success. The data obtained from these assessments may be utilized by teachers and administrators to review student academic progress, plan instruction, and share with students and parents. Summative assessments allow for data to be used in public reporting about school quality. Parent’s may opt-out of most state standardized tests by submitting a Parental Exclusion form to the Academic Director.
The Character Development team is looking forward to these ambassador events coming up:
- Thursday Sept. 8th 6th grade Take Flight
- Thursday Sept. 15th Constitution Day — if your child has a part please practice with them so they are comfortable and familiar with it by that day.
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SIGNED UP.
We love our parent volunteers!
If you are interested in volunteering please contact email@example.com
Reading University Catalog Video
USBE Special Needs Scholarship Opportunity
School districts and Charter schools are required by Utah Law, 53A1a-704(10), to inform parents of students with IEPs enrolled in public schools, of the availability of a scholarship to attend a private school through the Carson Smith Scholarship Program. The Carson Smith Special Needs Scholarship Program (CSS) provides tuition assistance for those who would qualify for special education and related services in public schools, preschool eligible special needs students enrolled in ineligible private schools. The scholarship is for students through 12th grade (3-21 year of age), whose parents choose an eligible private school. For more information on the scholarship, deadline schedule and funding schedule, please visit https://www.schools.utah.gov/specialeducation/programs/carsonsmithscholarship